Step 1: Confirm you’re ready to serve.
- Service in the AmeriCorps program requires a commitment to 10-1/2 months and 1,700 hours of service. Most projects are based on a 40-hour week (8 hours in service daily, Monday through Friday).
- Our program year begins in the Fall: Washington Reading Corps starts in August, Washington Service Corps in September.
- You can attend school or have a part-time job, as long as it doesn’t interfere with your service schedule.
Step 2: Confirm you’re eligible to serve.
- You must be at least 17 years old at the time you start serving.
- You must be a U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident alien.
- You cannot be (or required to be) listed on the National Sex Offender Registry, or have been convicted of murder.
- You must have a high school diploma or GED – or be on schedule to complete your education for either of them during your service term (note that some positions require a college degree). Tutoring positions require a high school diploma or GED at the time of enrollment.
Step 3: Review positions and apply online.
- Once you’ve decided which program you think will be a good fit, check out the available positions you can apply for.
Found a position that interests you?
- Carefully read the duties and requirements of the position, and when you’re ready to apply, click the “Apply Now” button.
- Once the organization has received your application and has decided to move forward with an interview, they’ll contact you.
- When you’ve been offered a position and accepted it, you’ll then go through the rest of the enrollment process.
- Be aware that the enrollment process requires criminal history background checks.