What is our Individual Placement program?
- One to four AmeriCorps member placements can be awarded to your organization.
- Members typically serve full time: 40 hours per week for 10.5 months, and complete 1,700 hours during their term of service.
- We provide training to members on our core competencies (AmeriCorps affiliation, communication, cultural awareness, leadership skills, life after AmeriCorps, and volunteer recruitment/management).
- You provide project orientation, direct supervisory support, mentorship, and skill-building throughout the program year.
In return for your investment in the WSC AmeriCorps program, your member(s) will come with a passion for serving others and making a difference in the community, while wanting to learn skills they can use in their professional career.
The member will be eligible for WSC health insurance, a monthly living allowance, childcare assistance, and -upon successful completion of a service term- an education award equal in value to the current Pell grant.
Who is eligible to be a WSC Individual Placement partner?
- Nonprofit organizations; private organizations; not limited to those with IRS 501(c)3 status, but rather all organizations with 501(c) status (however, organizations solely focused on advocacy or lobbying are NOT eligible)
- Schools: school districts, educational service districts, colleges, universities, alternative schools and others
- State, local and tribal government organizations
Where does your project fit?
Each project must address critical, pressing needs of the local community, focused on one of the following areas:
- Disaster Services (disaster preparedness training and education)
- Economic Opportunity (adult basic education; job skills training; financial literacy)
- Education (K-12 academic improvement or engagement through tutoring)
- Environmental Stewardship (education and outreach; habitat restoration)
- Healthy Futures (education in nutrition and healthy behaviors; healthcare access, insurance and benefit programs; assisting seniors or disabled adults with access to meals, transportation or other services)
- Veterans and Military Families (recruitment of veterans as community volunteers; providing services or resource referrals to veterans in need)
Want to apply to become a WSC Individual Placement partner?
Applications are no longer being accepted for the 2017-18 program year. To be notified of our next request for applications, please email us.