What is it?
The Segal AmeriCorps Education Award is a benefit that AmeriCorps members receive upon successful completion of their term of service. For Program Year 2018-19, award amounts are as follows:
- 1,700-hour positions: $5,920
- 1,200-hour positions: $4,144
- 900-hour positions: $2,960
What can the education award be used for?
- The cost to attend qualified higher education institutions (including certain vocational programs and enrichment classes).
- Some schools will do a full or partial match of the award; click here for a list.
- Paying off existing qualified student loan debt.
- Paying current expenses while participating in an approved school-to-work program.
- The education award expires seven years after you receive it (however, you might be able to receive an extension).
- It can be used all at once or in partial amounts.
- The education award is taxable in the year(s) it is used.
- Upon successful completion of the service term, members are eligible to have the National Service Trust pay up to 100% of the interest that accrued on their qualified student loan during their service. This is in addition to the education award.