What is our Washington Reading Corps program?
The Washington Reading Corps is actively engaged in improving literacy in communities, local schools and learning centers throughout the state. In collaboration with the state’s Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction, projects in this program focus on:
- tutoring struggling readers in Kindergarten through fourth grade
- preparing young children for successful entry into Kindergarten by helping to improve behavior and attitudes toward reading
- improving parent and family support of education through take-home activities and family literacy events
In this program, one to four AmeriCorps member placements are awarded to your organization. We provide ParaReading training to members, while you provide project orientation, direct supervisory support, mentorship, and skill-building throughout the program year.
In return for your investment in the Reading Corps program, your member(s) will come with a passion for serving others and making a difference in the community, while wanting to learn skills they can use in their professional career.
The typical service term for a member is a minimum of 10.5 months and 1,700 hours, and our program year begins in August. The member will be eligible for WSC health insurance, a monthly living allowance, childcare assistance, and -upon successful completion of a service term- an education award equal in value to the current Pell grant.
For more information about the Reading Corps program, please review our:
Who is eligible to be a Washington Reading Corps partner?
The following types of organizations are eligible to apply:
- Nonprofit organizations; 501 (c)(3) organizations (community and faith-based organizations are encouraged to apply)
- Schools: school districts, educational service districts, alternative schools and others
- Local government agencies and tribal nations
Want to apply to become a Washington Reading Corps partner?
Applications are no longer being accepted for the 2017-18 program year. To be notified when applications are released for the 2018-19 program year, please email us.